St. George Orthodox Church in Paldiski

St. George Orthodox Church in Paldiski

St. George Orthodox Church in Paldiski  is a typical example of a stone church with classicist baroque roots; it was built between 1784 and 1787 .  However, its history dates back further: the Paldiski Apostolic Orthodox congregation, founded in 1721, started when a simple tent was erected as a church for the soldiers and workmen who had been sent here to carry out fortifying work commissioned by Russian czar  Peter the Great. A wooden church replaced the original tent-church ( constructed in 1724–1728). It was consecrated in late 1728 in honour of St. George the Martyr. Bell tower and onion-domed altar, which were demolished during the Soviet occupation, are still to be restored. The church is listed in the National Registry of Cultural Monuments.
pho 56486625
e-mail eoc@eoc.ee
www http://www.eaok.ee/
address Pakri tänav, Lääne-Harju vald

Gallery

Paldiski Georgi õigeusu kirik
Paldiski Georgi õigeusu kirik
Paldiski Georgi õigeusu kirik

visitharju.com

    Sirge 2 10618
    Tallinn

Kontakt


    info@visitharju.com

Jälgi meid

Partners