Wonders of the Harju County

Wonders of the Harju County

Wonders of the Harju County

Padise Monastery dates back to the year 1317. Monastery builders followed the example of the order castle and thus a cloister connected the rooms surrounding the quadrangular courtyard of the monastery. Building of the monastery lasted for around 200 years. In 1448 the main part of the monastery buildings were blessed. At its prime time the monastery held possessions in the southern part of Finland, in the area of current city Helsinki, in Porvoo, Sipo and Pernaja. In 1558 before the Livonian War the monastery was taken into Order’s possession and turned into a military fortress, the brethren was dissolved. The monastery was closed and during the Livonian War it became a Swedish possession. In 1622 Swedish king Gustav II Adolf donated Padise Monastery to the mayor of Riga dome master Thomas Ramm for services to the Swedish king during the Livonian War. His household lived in the monastery until the end of the 18th century when the monastery was struck by lightning and burned down. There is no entrance fee to visit Padise Monastery; excursions must be booked. Contact: +3725265499 

Rebala Heritage Reserve On the 74 km2 territory of the heritage reserve there are more than 300 archaeological heritage sites and objects dating back to the Neolithic Age and several villages which are a few thousand years old. In Rebala one can see ancient farming landscape and 2000 years old arable land and fields. Next to the Rebala Museum are exposed the oldest and the most impressive stone barrows, dating back to the late Bronze Age, 8-7 century BC. Museum is open from Tuesday to Saturday from 10:00 – 18:00; contakt: 5032774

Kiiu Tower The local landlord Fabian von Tiesenhauseni erected Kiiu Vassal Tower or Kiiu Monk  Tower in the beginning of the 16th century as a fortified tower home. Vassal stronghold Kiiu tower is the smallest still standing medievaal fortification in the Baltic States. The tower has four floors; on the outside the stone wall is surrounded by a wooden circular balcony. The thickness of the walls is 1.8 metres; the interior diameter is up to 4.3 metres. This small tower fortress was used for living purposes and also for defence purposes during the unsettled times, the second floor was living quarters; two upper floors were defence floors. Kiiu Tower fortress was reconstructed in 1973, when the originaal appearance of the building was restored. Currently Kiiu Tower is a cafeteria, guided tours and coffee breaks for tourist groups are offered. Location: Kiiu Hamlet, Kuusalu Parish

 

Wonders of the Harju County  

Related objects

Check on map
Padise Monastery
NB: Padise Monastery is undergoing renovation and will re-open its doors in 2019. Padise Monastery was built by the Cistercians in the 14th century. In total, it was built over a period of 200 years. Wars left the monastery in ruins, but restoration work begun in the 1930s. Today, the only medieval...
Rebala Heritage Reserve Museum
Rebala Heritage Reserve locating in Jõelähtme Rural Municipality is an ancient cultural landscape of rich historical heritage – within a mere 74 square kilometres there are more than 300 archaeological remains originating from the Neolithic or a later period and several villages of more than a...
Kiiu Vassal Stronghold, or the Kiiu Tower
The medieval Kiiu Tower was probably completed in the beginning of the 16th century, and it is located in Kiiu manor park. This former residential tower is the smallest surviving medieval defensive structure in the Baltic countries. The tower has four floors; the walls are 1.8 m thick, and the...

Map