Churches

Rannamõisa Church

Rannamõisa Church was built in 1901 and consecrated as a church in 1905. Until 1937, the church belonged to the Keila congregation and was called Ranna Chapel. It became an independent congregation in September 1937…

St. Mary’s Church on Naissaare

Naissaare church, standing on an island 12 km from Tallinn, was constructed in 1934 to the designs of architect Karl Tarvas. It was consecrated in 1938. It has a very simple but masterful architectural design…

St. Charles’ Church in Tuhala

This church, commissioned by the lord of the local manor, Karl von Mellin, was constructed between 1775 and 1777. The saint’s name chosen for it was selected in his honour. It was consecrated on 3…

Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Nissi

The Church of Blessed Virgin Mary in Nissi was built in 1873. It is a historicist church with a 52.5-metre-high tower. Its magnificent stained-glass windows St. John the Evangelist and St. Peter the Apostle were…

St. Nicholas’ Church in Paldiski

St. Nicholas’ Church in Paldiski was built in 1842. This Classicist church, in which the Soviet Army reigned for half a century, has also been used as a culture centre and later, as a warehouse….

St. Jacob’s Church in Viimsi

Built in 2007, this is the first and so far only Lutheran church built in Estonia since World War Two. It was designed by architects Martin Aunin and Erkki Ristoja. Situated on the waterfront, the…

St. Michael’s (Miikaeli) Church in Keila

The construction of the biggest mediaeval country church in Harju County probably started immediately after Northern Estonia had been subjected to the king of Denmark. There is no data about the first years of the…

St. Lawrence Church in Kuusalu

Kuusalu Church, dedicated to protodeacon martyr St. Lawrence, is considered to be one of the oldest stone churches in Northern Estonia. It was most likely the Gotlandish Cistercian monks who started building a house of…

Harju-Jaani Church

Harju-Jaani Church was consecrated on 13 October 1863 (architect Friedrich Wilhelm Alisch). The donation was made by local landlords and rural municipalities. The stone altar covered with boarding originates from the old church (13th-14th centuries),…

Pickwa St. Michael Chapel

The chapel of Tallinn Diaconal Hospital, designed in 1891, was a little building in the yard of a large complex of the Tallinn Magdaleena Hospital.  Pickwa St. Michael Chapel was moved to Pikva because it was…

St. Nicholas Church in Kose

This Medieval fortified church was possibly built soon after the city of Tallinn was established around the 1230’s. The pulpit (Tobias Heintze), its Baroque iconostasis (1774), a painting titled “The Entombment of Jesus” (Otto Zoege…

St. George’s Church in Jüri

Built: 1885 A pseudi-Gothic church (architect Friedrich Axel von Howen) built on a mediaeval foundation. The interior reflects the colours of the Estonian flag. A very old church bell. A wheel cross on the buttress,…

  • 1
  • 2